The first 1.17 pre-release is here!
From now on, you should mostly see bugs being fixed. In addition to that, pre-releases doesn’t follow the regular snapshot cadence of releasing on Wednesdays, so keep an eye out!
Additionally, based on feedback from the community, we have decided to include candles in part 1 of Caves & Cliffs again. Candles will become available in Bedrock shortly after the release of part 1.
NEW FEATURES IN 1.17 PRE-RELEASE 1
- Added new advancements
- Added “Whatever Floats Your Goat!” for floating in a boat with a goat
- Added “Wax on” for applying wax to a Copper block!
- Added “Wax off” for scraping wax off a Copper block!
- Added “The Cutest Predator” for catching an axolotl in a bucket!
- Added “The Healing Power of Friendship!” for teaming up with an axolotl and winning a fight
- Added “Glow and Behold” for making a sign glow
- Added “Light as a Rabbit” for walking on powder snow with leather boots
- Added “Surge Protector!” for having a lightning strike a lightning rod near a villager without setting the area on fire
- Added “Is it a Bird?” for looking at a parrot through a spyglass
- Added “Is it a Balloon?” for looking at a ghast through a spyglass
- Added “Is it a Plane?” for looking at a dragon through a spyglass
CHANGES IN 1.17 PRE-RELEASE 1
- Candles have been added back to the creative inventory
- Recipes for crafting and dying candles are once again available
- Candles now have a different texture when lit
- Glowing text on signs now has an outer glow, making text in dark colours more visible in the dark
- Holding down the space bar now increases the scroll speed in the credits
THE CAVES & CLIFFS PREVIEW
Download the updated datapack.
TECHNICAL CHANGES IN 1.17 PRE-RELEASE 1
- Added started_riding, lightning_strike and using_item advancement triggers
- Added source condition to effects_changed trigger
- Added lightning_bolt sub-predicate
- Added passenger, stepping_on and lightning_bolt properties to entity predicate
- Added looking_at condition to player sub-predicate
- Expanded item field on item predicate to items
- Expanded block field on block predicate to blocks
- Added F3+L shortcut to generate and persist performance metrics from in-game
- F3+L on single-player worlds will also include reports for the integrated server
- Removed debug report command (use perf start/stop for server performance measurement)
- perf start/stop command on dedicated servers will now generate and persist server performance metrics
- Triggered when player starts riding a vehicle or entity starts riding vehicle currently ridden by player
- player – either a player that started riding or one of boat passengers
- Triggered when lightning finishes (i.e. entity disappears)
- Triggers for any player on the server
- player – player for which this trigger runs
- lightning – predicate for lightning entity
- bystander – predicate for one of the entities in a certain area around strike not hurt by it
- Triggered for every tick of using items (like crossbows, spyglass, fishing rods, etc)
- player – players that uses item
- item – item being used
- Added source triggers that matches entity that triggered the change
- Might be empty when:
- there is no entity (for example, effect gained from a beacon)
- the effect is self-applied
- effect is removed
- item field expended to items, now accepting an array of item types
- block field expended to blocks, now accepting an array of block types
- passenger – new sub-predicate for passenger directly riding this vehicle (if present, must match one or more)
- stepping_on – location predicate for block entity is currently standing on
- lightning_bolt – sub-predicate valid only for lightning bolt entity
- looking_at – entity currently viewed by player
- uses the same line-of-sight rules as attacking mobs
- actual detection radius might be changed in future
- blocks_set_on_fire – range check for of blocks set on fire by this entity
- entity_struck – predicate for entities struck by this lightning (if present, must match one or more)
PERFORMANCE METRICS REPORTING
These will be saved to a zip file in debug/profiling/<yyyy-MM-dd_HH.mm.ss-[levelname]-[version]>.zip and could be used for performance regression analysis if included in bug reports.
The exact metrics, output format, and names are susceptible to change between versions. Our plan is to continue iterating on which metrics to capture.
CLIENT F3+L SHORTCUT
Pressing F3+L while in the game will start a recording for 10 seconds capturing metrics such as tick durations, used heap sizes and other more detailed stats.
Pressing F3+L before the 10 second limit will end the recording early.
This shortcut is always available to clients, even on multi-player servers where it will record client-side performance.
DEDICATED SERVER PERF START/STOP COMMAND
perf start will start a recording for 10 seconds capturing metrics such as tick durations, used heap sizes and other more detailed stats.
perf stop before the 10-second limit will end the recording early.